The front motor bay of the electric Sonett holds 18 lithium battery cells on either side of the AC50 electric motor. The large aluminium plate helps cool the motor controller; a fan is mounted underneath.
The electrical system runs at three separate voltage levels - 130, 12, and 5 volts – with the high voltage circuit used for propulsion. Special instrumentation monitors battery pack voltage and amp-hour capacity.
Sonett electric motor bay (front body shell removed)
1. Wiper motor
2. Brake fluid remote reservoir
3. Contactor (large 24v relay)
4. Terminal bar for battery pack positive end
5. Driver side front battery pack (9 cells)
6. AC 50 electric motor
7. Passenger side battery pack (9 cells)
8. Motor controller
9. Windshield washer remote reservoir
Legacy of the Porsche 356
What's an electric replica?
Electric versus gasoline
Chassis and Body shell